Friday, August 18, 2023

piece of wisdom

I can see this idea forming into a mantra, because it is so applicable, and will be need to be recited often enough to not be forgotten.
It has struck me in almost too many situations to name, suffice that, I will name a time I heard it from someone else and that made it stronger somehow. It wasn't just some "helpful" idea I had, but one many people have had and chosen to live by. 
I was in a very small class of about 6 people and sitting across me at a large table as we were discussing ideas, a man said, " my wife always asks me, 'Is that the anthill you want to die on?' Before I start arguing with one of my teenagers." Sooooooooo! Brilliant and wise. That is the very same idea not so perfectly placed in a metaphor, though, it is the idea that some things just are not worth the investment, take a moment and change your perspective before it is too late.

That truly is one of the greatest blessings of being financially limited. My ex-husband seemed perplexed at why I hoped to be poor when I raised my children, and the easy answer to why is simply, "Necessity is the mother of invention." Sure, it is easy to say, " Now, honey, do you REALLY NEED that?" But, chances are a needy person will be suffering from the same blindness as those who are in love, and they will answer in all sincerity and seriousness that they DO NEED the thing (my little sister called it retail therapy, in jest). But, if poor enough, even lack of digression will not lead to stupid investments.
At one point my philosophy professor asked me if I was majoring in philosophy. I laughed and told him, " Nope. Just a poor Mormon." He was confused and inquired why the heck that would make any difference. I explained that I only studied what I needed to and I only worshiped what I needed. My peers in the Bible belt make certain I was not learning of the WRONG God. I HAD to know what I believed and why, that made me seem a tad philisophical.

Cookies are done, and the kids will all be here today!!!!! Yipeeee!

No comments:

Post a Comment