Friday, September 12, 2014

A bit of reminder

Last Sunday, our lesson was on Talents and our teacher made a particularly profound comment. She reminded us that our Bishop is inspired when he calls us to positions, and his source is our Father in Heaven and He knows our talents and asks us to do things that are suited to our talents even if it us in no way appearant to us. Often I hear people claim that they were the least suited to do a thing.

I have been asked to lead music and though it is a thing I ought to be perfectly suited for, I cannot sing. Hmmm, but, it is largely due to my willingness to serve regardless that I sort of "earned" a miracle.

We are given weaknesses to make them strong, and in this case it was a leap to believe that I would be able to see this set back as a blessing and accept the opportunity to serve in this capacity that my talent might be strenthened.

So, it is a reminder that singing is in fact one of my talents, though less obvious right now.

Josh Groban - You're Still You: http://youtu.be/fTady0w6dZ0

(All of this is like the warm up exercise in drama club of anunciating without the use of our tongues. It is humiliating and sounds terrible, but it is by trying to do without that we realize how much easier it is with.)

As a young adult working in the Southcenter Mall in Tukwilla, I was a rover and given tideous tasks that others did not like to do. To earn more, one preferred to use the cash register to earn a greater commission. I was always asked to go clean out the dressing rooms, which was seen as tideous and tiresome. In disguise, it was so helpful! It afforded me a better grasp of what and where everything in our inventory was located. I ended up earning more commission because I was better suited to actually aid customers who were serious about what they wanted and paying, etc. Though I had fewer times at the cash register, I made larger sales and established a better repoire with customers who upon returning would ask for me by name. I was placed permanently in that department and offered first each opportunity that arose.

My experience reminded me that I was in fact a descendent of the same Joseph who was blessed to be sold into Egypt by his brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment