Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Emoting

A thing that has never left my mind as I have watched performances and people speaking in you tube videos, they hold still. It reminds me of the time my piano teacher put a back pack on my back full of book and told me to see if I could play without moving. I noticed Brooksie kept moving too much when I was trying to make a video of her to but on a slice of bread, and it left an impression on me.

I know that I have been told certain things to avoid when speaking in public, like visual aides (beyond commonly used ones)and to not use my arms, or hands to make gestures. This is not hard for me. It is like in a class we were talking about tithing and someone explained that certain things are just easier for others and tithing was never a sacrifice for him, even when he had very little, just just was not a thing hard to do, if asked, he would do it. End of story. I think the same is true for me with regards to not using hands or gestures to speak. I bet it is a real challenge for others, but my difficulty is likely of no consequence to other and so it is never addressed.

I normally move as I speak. In fact, when I talk on the phone, not only do I nod my head and such, but I pace. I tend to loose the signal like that and drive others crazy. It is not uncommon to be told to "sit down!" cell phones in the car? um, not likely for me. Also when I talk on video I notice that I move or make incorrect expressions. My best friend took a class on Nonverbal communication and noted that I often say something entirely different than what my words say. Oh great? I hope it is not a for of duplicity or dishonesty. No one ever taught me the accepted mannerisms or any mannerisms meaning, besides one I often do, folding my arms. To me it does not mean at all what it seems to be communicating.

Most musicians do it, perhaps not the ones trained to be on video, but in an orchestra or symphonic group I see others do it, too. That is not an excuse, but a note that I am not alone. It is called "Emoting". But my Piano instructor saw it as something that distracted. though music is aural, we have eyes. I am going to try to not move as much in my future posts, though it will be hard for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment